[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob crosses

A. Marshall and J. Noles marshallandnoles at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 11:01:32 EST 2004

Hi Karen,

This is simple colour genetics at work... most Jacobs have black
spots via the action of a dominant black gene.  Many Jacobs also
carry an Agouti gene (aka "Lilac").  The dominant black is indeed
dominant to all of the genes that produce red, white, agouti and
recessive blacks, so crossing a Jacob that has only a set of dominant
black genes usually results in black ofspring from crosses.  HOWEVER,
if you cross a lilac, or black spotted Jacob that carries lilac, you
certainly can have other results!  You may get black, white or agouti
offspring in this case.  We had a black spotted Jacob that carried
"lilac" that was bred to 2 different Katahdin rams, a father and son.
 The first ram, a fawn spotted pied, sired a black (white blaze, sox
& tail tip) and a solid white with the Jacob.  The second ram was a
chocolate agouti; the lambs from this cross were a solid agouti and a
white with a small amount of agouti spotting.  These results would be
quite typical from a cross of a purebred Jacob to another breed.

Ariel Marshall
Red Dragon Farm
Mount Vernon, KY