[Jacob-list] Jacob crosses???

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Dec 14 05:14:09 EST 2004

Karen,
Good scientific analysis never says "always" or "never"; but, it is very
improbable that a JacobX would exhibit anything other than dominate black or
piebald b&w in the F1 generation. This is displayed even from our lilacs in
test crosses to Shetland and homozygous white longwools. Test crossing back
to homozygous white gives black and white offspring in a 50/50 ratio.

I do not like to base evaluation for the entire breed on one gene. However,
in this case, if there is deviation from this, then very likely the piebald
parent is not a a "purebred" Jacob.

Neal Grose
North Carolina