[Jacob-list] putting little guys with big guys

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 06:29:19 EDT 2004

Sue and all,

I have put the young rams in with adult rams now for almost 10 years and have yet to observe a fight.  Sheep seem to understand the big and little concept well.  When the sizes are closer and more evenly matched, I will put a very non-dominant ram in with an adult---which to date has always been safe.  If I had a dominant appearing ram lamb that I didn't send off to the butcher, I would put him in very small confines to establish the pecking order.

BTW:  An 8 X 8 pen is WAY TOO BIG for 3 adult rams!  Been there, done that.  One will cede loss immediately and stand in a corner, leaving room for the other two to back up to each hypotenuse and go at each other.  I use the Sydell lambing jug pens 4X6 to put 2 adults in for a few hours.  When the pushing and shoving is over, I turn them on out.  Those pens haven't come apart yet.

Mary Ellen

Susan J Martin <stonecroft235 at juno.com> wrote:
Question: What will happen if I put five 3-4 month old rams in the same
meadow as our two older rams.....the two older rams have been together
all summer and are buddies........but will they beat up the little guys?
When I put two adult rams together I always confine them in a small area
until they establish their pecking order. But, these little guys would
seemingly not be a threat........would they be OK....or will I have WWIII
on my hands!!! I am not aware of any of our ewes being in heat, so our
adult rams are pretty calm and placid presently....thanks for your
thoughts/advice.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA