[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Aug 3 21:16:06 EDT 2004

I've never put ram lambs in with two adult rams, but do put them in with one adult ram most every year.  I have never
had an adult ram beat up on the little guys.  I do keep my rams about 100 feet from the ewes, except when I have the
ewes grazing in the "neutral zone".  I had 17 ewes and three donkeys across the fence from one 6 year old ram and one 4
month old ram today. Nobody paid much attention to anyone.  There were some cool days in the last month, where the ewes
started with behaviour that seems to be a sign of impending heat (grumpy, bossy), but no actual signs of heat.  I would
be interested in hearing what other breeders have seen.  Then meanest ram I ever had (and he was pretty darn mean)
never even bothered the baby rams.  There was no sign of establishing a pecking order - the big guys were the big guys
and the little guys seemed to realize that they were the little guys.

I have heard stories of young rams being killed by older rams.  I don't know if that was establishing a pecking order,
fighting over ewes, or fighting over food.  Has anyone kept records of such events?

Linda

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:58:08 -0400, Susan J Martin wrote:
>Question:   What will happen if I put five 3-4 month old rams in the same
>meadow as our two older rams.....the two older rams have been together all
>summer and are buddies........but will they beat up the little guys? When I
>put two adult rams together I always confine them in a small area until they
>establish their pecking order.  But, these little guys would seemingly not be
>a threat........would they be OK....or will I have WWIII on my hands!!!  I am
>not aware of any of our ewes being in heat, so our adult rams are pretty calm
>and placid presently....thanks for your thoughts/advice.
>
>Sue Martin Stonecroft Manor Lititz, PA

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits
 Handspun Yarns