[Jacob-list] Rams with Lambs

Nedra Darnell windyweir at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 11:25:03 EDT 2004

Sue, I have always put the ram lambs in with the rams at about 4 months, too, with no problems.  This year, I was introducing new bonded 7 year old and 2 year olds in with a recently singled 1 year old at about the same time.  After the older fellows spent most of a day penned tight, I let them out with 13(!) four month ram lambs.  The older rams all are gentlemen and most of their negotiating for position was done with posturing and feints rather than contact.  Several of the lambs wanted to join in and the older rams just ignored them, even when they mounted or butted.   After a couple days and with position settled, I have seen all of the older rams correct the lambs, but with pushing them away, not butting.  Impressive and entertaining process.

Nedra Darnell
Fibre Folds Farm
Bath, NY