[Jacob-list] Sheep shearing question......

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Mon Aug 2 09:21:12 EDT 2004

The first year we had sheep (4) we did our own...and it still took a
while!  While I could do it again if I absolutely had to, it is one of
those things I choose to pay to have someone else do for me.  Writing
the check to our shearer is one of the most painless checks I write
during the year....I have such a feeling of satisfaction seeing
everything done in just a few hours, the sheep all cool and comfortable
at one time...it is an extremely happy event for me when it is done!  We
show our appreciation to our shearer...I always offer him lunch but he
does not always stop to eat....depending on how many there are to shear,
where he is going from here, and weather.  I also always tip him above
what he asks for.  He drives more than an hour to come to us each year
and does his best to get here when we want him (except for weather
conflicts) so I want to be a customer he wishes to keep.  The last time
he was here, he shared stories about some of the area shearers that just
won't "do" Jacobs, so that is also something to consider. While ours are
well-behaved, in general the breed can be more of a challenge to shear,
and some of that is related to body type rather than behavior, although
he did share some behavior stories with us!

If you wish to make your shearing day an event, I would think you would
want to have someone else doing that task, as there will still be plenty
for you to do, if you are going to use or sell your fleeces.  I have
attended a shearing event at a B&B, and there is a lot of
activity....skirting (if you do it then and not later), bagging,
labeling, record-keeping/notes, talking with interested onlookers,
showing fleeces to prospective buyers,  etc.  Our own shearing day has
been publicized for the last two years at our local knit shop.  In
addition to the fiber people, we also get the curious on-lookers who
just want to watch this "uncommon" activity in a modern world.

Finding a shearer before you need one is a very wise plan.  Western
North Carolina hosts a fiber fair in late October each year (SAFF) and
there is always a shearing event there.  Shearers that might not travel
to a specific area are happy to share names of others they know that
might.  It seems to be getting harder and harder to find shearers.  It
is not something many young people are aspiring to become....it is hard
work when doing many in a few hours.  It will probably become even more
difficult to locate a shearer in years to come...so guess it is
something we all need to be prepared to do, if we have to.  In this
area, that is one reason why farmers would rather have goats than
sheep....no shearing worries!

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm
Mill Spring, NC