[Jacob-list] Sheep shearing question......

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Aug 1 20:01:56 EDT 2004

I sheared my own sheep for 8 years.  The 8th year, I realized that it was taking me longer and longer to straighten up
between shearings. (I'm no spring chicken!) By then, I was shearing 18 or so.   I tied the sheep up using either a
halter or collar - depending on just what that sheep seemed to like the best - and sheared them standing up - well,
they were standing up - I was bent halfway double.  The first shearing usually took quite awhile, but the sheep got
used to being tied and were actually easier to handle for other chores once they learned that being tied meant to stand
still.  It would usually take me 15 or 20 minutes to shear one that was used to standing tied.  I started out using
traditional hand shearers.  Because of my hands, they were hard for me to use.  I finally settled on some scissors that
didn't hurt my hands and that had a sharp enough point to separate the fleece.  Since Jacobs should have an open
fleece, it was a good way to determine just what sheep to keep.  If my scissors couldn't slide easily into the fleece -
it was not an open fleece.  I bought electric shears one year, but hated them.

The first year we had a shearer come it was a shearer that does the circuit.  That means that he comes when he's in
your area.  The timing is up to his/her schedule and you don't get much prep time, but  he does not charge a travel
charge and is usually very fast .  The first year, he came the middle of April, which does work ok for us.  He sheared
a sheep in three minutes, but cut more than half of them.  Still, I going to go with him another year.  Except the next
year, he didn't return calls until after we had already got someone else.

I now use a shearer that lives in the state.  He is a farmer and doesn't do the circuit.  He does charge a travel
charge, but he comes when we ask him.  If you want to do a shearing day, I doubt you could do it with a circuit
shearer.  BTW, there are some great Australian circuit shearers that travel the country, but you are on their schedule.
Our shearer does a number of shearing day events.

I still do shear a freezer lamb that's going in the fall.  I learned alot about fleece character shearing my own and
you might want to try a few just to appreciate your shearer more!  I know I do!

Linda