[Jacob-list] shearing

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 08:16:40 EDT 2004

Melody wrote <<<   I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't find a shearer,  would take me half a day to do one sheep, I'm sure, and that was if the sheep cooperated! ;-)>>>

I hand-sheared my first ever sheep the other day, two of them.  I took my time and each one took about 20 minutes.  I did tip them into the correct position on their tails though at first I couldn't remember which way to turn them when. The first one got up and walked off a couple of times, my fault rather than hers, but the second one behaved like a dream.  Both fleeces came off well without second cuts or new wool included, and neither sheep was so much as grazed.  My back was aching a bit afterwards but if I had to do my whole flock at that pace then it would only take me a month which , given the variations between the timing of the ' rise ' between individual sheep, is perfectly acceptable (though it doesn't take account of the weather).
My point is that if I can do it then so could almost anyone else <G> - there's no magic to it !  Just watch someone else carefully and memorize the moves, cover any susceptible bits such as teats and genitals with your other hand and set off.
Good Luck to all you would-be shearers and enjoy being independant in yet another shepherding area.
Juliet in Scotland UK