[Jacob-list] Balding ewe

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Fri Apr 30 01:45:17 EDT 2004

Got a question:  I have a 2 yr. old ewe who was sheared in mid March,
delivered twins on March 29, good condition all through pregnancy and
after pregnancy, healthy in every way and not underweight, uneventful
delivery, lambs doing well.  Following delivery she was wormed and given
an injection of BoSe.  Now I am noticing that her fleece is sloughing off
(as mentioned, she was sheared mid March) and she is apparently itchy -
scratching with her horns.  She is losing fleece on her sides and belly,
face and neck and she is scratching her back.  I closely examined her
this morning.........no lice, no rashes, no skin abnormalities on gross
exam.  She continues to be healthy in every way, but she is looking
rather "ratty" .........and the patches where the fleece has sloughed off
is covered with a new growth of fleece and appears normal in every way.
What is going on here?  Any ideas/suggestions?

Hope to see some of you at the MD Sheep & Wool Festival this
weekend........I absolutely recommend this event for anyone who is
undecided about attending.........there are so many opportunities to
learn things, buy things, great food, great music, and of course visiting
with the greatest people in the world ~ sheep people!

Let me know your thoughts on the fleece loss problem.....

Sue Martin
Stonecroft
Lititz, PA