[Jacob-list] winter protein/panacur

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Apr 1 19:09:07 EST 2004

I guess I've got a pretty good vet - he's always willing to take the time to explain things in great detail (if I so
desire).  Ivormectin does comes in a drench - at least around here - and you can give the injectable orally.  One vet
did tell me NOT to use it in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. I do not normally worm during that time anyway and I'm not
willing to experiment trying it.

I haven't heard of using ivormec three days in a row.  The year that I had the fecal done after using safe-guard, I had
just done the 5 days in a row that is/was recommended.  According to the fecal, it had no effect.

Awhile ago, Edd Bissell posted the results of a test that University of Tennessee did at his farm.  They found that
using ivormec in association with strongid wormer worked the best. I recently read the results on a goat list where UT
did the same test on goats with the same conclusion.

I sure hope you get your guys back into condition.  I know how hard you worked to get them home.

Linda

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:19:39 -0500, Kelley Rambo wrote:
>I did actually have a local vet do a fecal sample.  They said I have
>strongyles, but I got no more information than that.  The guy I spoke with
>really only recommended ivomectin, though I hesitate to use that because I
>think it only comes in injectable or pour-on form (making it systemic, which
>sends up red flags for me) and I don't think it's safe for use in pregnant
>animals (which I might have a couple of "accidents" mixed in the flock).  I
>have used panacur in the past ('99), but did not worm in '00, '01 or '02 - by
>the end of '02 I felt I did have a parasite problem (but did not get fecals
>done), then enter the loony from Vermont who supposedly wormed the sheep twice
>in '03 when they were in his custody but refused to tell me when he wormed or
>what he used - regardless, when I finally got the sheep back from him in early
>December they were still in poor condition.  I had the fecal test done about a
>month and a half ago - I used panacur on a few of the sheep and have seen no
>results/no improvement in thei r conditioning.  I had one ewe come up with
>bottle jaw, gave her a teaspoon of minced garlic and the bottle jaw was gone
>in two days and has not returned.  I'm feeling that the minced garlic (I mix
>it with molasses and oat bran) is probably the best way to go at this point
>- i.e. trying to work it into their diet on a regular/weekly/bi-weekly basis.
>
>Everyone has a good appetite, are bouncy and relatively happy, but they are
>skinny.  It's like they eat and eat, but gain no weight - which I am
>attributing to the parasites.
>
>The vet that recommended the ivomectin said that to worm properly, I have to
>worm for 3 days which is not what my vet suggested in '99 and not what the
>packaging recommended.  Regardless, it didn't seem to be effective.
>
>I would like to get this situation resolved, so suggestions would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Kelley

Jacob Sheep for sale - 2004
  http://www.patchworkfibers.com/forsale.html