[Jacob-list] winter protein/panacur

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Thu Apr 1 16:19:39 EST 2004

I did actually have a local vet do a fecal sample.  They said I have
strongyles, but I got no more information than that.  The guy I spoke with
really only recommended ivomectin, though I hesitate to use that because I
think it only comes in injectable or pour-on form (making it systemic,
which sends up red flags for me) and I don't think it's safe for use in
pregnant animals (which I might have a couple of "accidents" mixed in the
flock).  I have used panacur in the past ('99), but did not worm in '00,
'01 or '02 - by the end of '02 I felt I did have a parasite problem (but
did not get fecals done), then enter the loony from Vermont who supposedly
wormed the sheep twice in '03 when they were in his custody but refused to
tell me when he wormed or what he used - regardless, when I finally got
the sheep back from him in early December they were still in poor
condition.  I had the fecal test done about a month and a half ago - I
used panacur on a few of the sheep and have seen no results/no improvement
in thei
r conditioning.  I had one ewe come up with bottle jaw, gave her a
teaspoon of minced garlic and the bottle jaw was gone in two days and has
not returned.  I'm feeling that the minced garlic (I mix it with molasses
and oat bran) is probably the best way to go at this point - i.e. trying
to work it into their diet on a regular/weekly/bi-weekly basis.

Everyone has a good appetite, are bouncy and relatively happy, but they
are skinny.  It's like they eat and eat, but gain no weight - which I am
attributing to the parasites.

The vet that recommended the ivomectin said that to worm properly, I have
to worm for 3 days which is not what my vet suggested in '99 and not what
the packaging recommended.  Regardless, it didn't seem to be effective.

I would like to get this situation resolved, so suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelley