[Jacob-list] winter protein/panacur

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Apr 1 15:06:37 EST 2004

I imagine that would be the case.  I meant to say that there would different answers to the question "is panacur
effective?"  depending on what's going on in your flock/area.  I don't think there is a blanket answer for the
question.

In my flock, safe-guard (fenbenzadole, same as panacur) was ineffective a few years ago.  I know this by having fecal
exams done at the vet.  After not using it for about three years, it did work last fall.   I've heard the same story
with tramisole from another sheep breeder.

Having your local vet do a fecal test for parasites is a pretty good investment, imho, no matter what sort of control
program you use.

Linda

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:15:19 -0500, Kelley Rambo wrote:
>Could be, but I would think that if a flock comes in contact with other
>animals/sheep carrying parasites that are immune, they would contract the
>immune parasites - so I guess that would be area??
>
>I don't know - I still wonder if science has it right that parasites are host
>specific - otherwise how would my cats get fleas from dogs? Tapeworms?  etc...
>Horses get strongyle worms, so do sheep - different strongyles?  How do I
>know???
>
>The other question, I found a website on a couple of places offering parasite
>testing so you could find out about how big of infestation you have.  Does
>anyone know about this?
>
>Thanks, Kelley
Jacob Sheep for sale - 2004
  http://www.patchworkfibers.com/forsale.html