[Jacob-list] safe fencing

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Sep 16 18:08:05 EDT 2003

For fencing large areas, it is hard to beat an 8 (Yes, EIGHT) strand high
tensile electric fence. However, for smaller areas, the cost effectiveness
of 16 foot welded panels works out pretty good. Most of the cost of the high
tensile fence is in the corners, but there is no extra expense for corners
when using panels. (And you can make the things into a circle if you want.)
A smaller lot has the same number of corners as the large one. At $15 for a
16 foot panel, you will pay $1.50 per foot either way. I would recommend the
combination panels even though they cost about $3 more each. Lambs and
Boston Terrier Xs that like to chase lambs can fit right through the larger
blocks on cattle panels.

After twisting wire with pliers and being disgusted with the way it worked,
I found a good way to attach panels to metal posts. They now make a
not-quite-so-high-tensile high tensile wire that can be twisted with only
moderate difficulty. I made a wire bender from a piece of 3/8" by 1" flat
metal cut 6" long. I drilled a 3/16" hole 1/2" from one end and one 5/16" on
the other end.
*Lay out the panels as you would put up the fence, overlapping panels by one
square. (Posts will be 15.5 feet on center.)
*Drive posts at the overlap and halfway between the ends.
*Cut the "med-high" tensile wire 8 to 10 inches long and bend it in the
middle.
* Stand the panels up against the post and place the wire around the posts
and through the panel wires as you would a wire clip for a barbed wire
fence. You will be tying two panels together at the overlap, this prevents
the panels from separating at a post.
* Slip the small hole of the wire bender over an end of your wire clip and
simply circle the bender around the panel wire. The bender will grasp the
wire just enough to pull it tight as you bend it around the panel bars.
*I find that 3 ties per post does an excellent job to hold everything in
place.

If you need to make a strong corner, cut the last wire from the end of the
panels with a pair of bolt cutters and cross the ends together in front of
your metal corner post. Use the large hole on the wire bender to wrap the
panel wires around the post. It'll be thar till the dogs come home.

I hope this helps someone.

Neal Grose