[Jacob-list] sheepies

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 07:54:47 EDT 2003

Thom and all,

This NC shepherd is battening down stuff, and I am
inland a good ways.  I have to get more "flingables"
moved to safer ground if it looks like the winds will
pick up in our area.  Those predictions aren't in yet
though.

We had the worst flooding I have seen in 9+ years a
couple weeks ago.  We got 3.5 inches of rain in a half
hour that wound up wiping out about 40 feet of
fencing.  Luckily, the fencing that went had a back-up
not far behind, so none of my little buddies went
awandering.  Hubby and oldest son outdid themselves
and even put it back up for me!

Jacob Sheep do CHOOSE to walk through foot-deep water
that is rushing through their usual footpaths!  Nobody
was washed away.

We are using 5 breeding rams at our place this fall
and I have a couple ewes visiting a ram at a friend's
house as well.  Spring should be interesting and
provide LOTS and LOTS of variations on
pedigrees---over and above the wide array of
backgrounds already represented by my flock.

Rams in use this fall are ISeeSpots Marwon (Rockies
Reebok and Maverick Mimosa), Bryn Gweled Beau
(youngster), Swallow Lane Shakespeare (cool!! ram),
Puddleduck Sir James (old over-used guy), and
Huntsberger's Hunter.  The lone ram, Eli, is out of
ISeeSpots Patty and Culloden Boaz.

The Maine girls are doing well.  Hunter is getting the
hang of "being a ram" with the biggest group of girls.
 He happens to have (coincidentally) the group of
strongest-minded ewes in with him as well.  Hunter has
figured out what "grain" is, but the girls are
avoiding contact with their roomies and with all
possibilities of grain yet.  I figure they will
eventually find out what that "stuff" is that the
other sheep seem to go wild over soon.  I still need
to get them clipped up to look their best for
mug-shots.  Royal---I am pleased with him.

When I get the other websites updated that I am
responsible to keep up, I will get more pictures and
info up on my flock.

My vet is to come out in mid-October for another OPP
test.  To date, I have always had whole flock
negatives and really want to remain that way.  Will
just keep fingers crossed with the additions.

Mary Ellen

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm