[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list digest, Vol 1 #702 - 9 msgs

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sat Oct 18 00:55:35 EDT 2003

All of this reminds me of how I made best friends with one of my Jacob
ewes. "Birdie" came as a skittish ewe lamb.  The following spring she still
hadn't lambed and we had planned a vacation, of course everyone else was done
lambing  a month before. So I took her up to the neighbors and she didn't lamb
while she was there, but she came home with a terrible case of sheep keds so
she had to go in isolation...the worst thing as far as a sheep is concerned.
Well all by herself she became quite lonely and looked forward to any time I
spent with her. I started spending 1/2 - 1 hour every afternoon after work
picking keds. Well the chickens loved the keds, and so Birdie would stand or
lay next to me quietly letting me pick keds, and 3 or 4 hens would patiently
wait to see who would get fed the next one. I am sure it was an odd picture,
but it was very relaxing for all involved!  Of course my husband caught me at
it one evening, and decided we were all totally nuts, but that is just part of
being the farming half of the family! I am glad not all the sheep are pets,
some have such strong personalities as they are I would hate to change anything
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs.