[Jacob-list] OPP and Johnes Testing

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Nov 8 06:36:54 EST 2003

Sue,

If what your vet is saying is correct, it may be an overstatement. Pasteurization is never 100% unless you like toast for milk. The link between Johnne's and Crohn's is not a real muddle...we in the dairy industry mumble and cover our mouths when we say it...It may be no more than the fact that Avian paratuberculoisis is fairly common and is an opportune benign infection in a weakened intestine. Also, isolated genetic groups are not as isolated as they used to be.

What we do know about both/all these infections is that they are more easily contracted if they are encountered early in the animals life and with a weakened immune system and in greater concentrations.

Neal