[Jacob-list] OPP and Johnes Testing

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Sat Nov 8 18:24:01 EST 2003

Neal and Tara:

I have been told by our vets that typical pasteurization does not produce
high enough heat to kill the Johne's pathogen.  And, the pathogen can be
soil borne for years.  And, here in dairy country we also have a high
deer population -- and deer and cows/sheep/goats typically co-mingle as
only an 8 foot fence will keep a deer out of a pasture.  AND, if Johne's
is implicated in Crohn's disease -- this is a real time bomb.  Crohn's
disease, BYW, is appearing in individuals who do not fit the previously
understood genetic profile.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA