[Jacob-list] How smart are these sheep!

gf fayg at mebtel.net
Sat Nov 8 18:20:26 EST 2003

Shepherds ...

How smart are these sheep? My ram now realizes that at 200 lbs the fence really doesn't hold him when he charges it. Of course where he goes the ewes follow, even to the neighbors farm. And because he is rutting/ewes are in heat he is quite aggressive, he has charged and hit me several times and I am getting tired of it and worried for the small children that just moved in next door.

The big problem is that I have 5 ewes, two proven breeders, two late from last year that were 0's and one from this year. I want to be sure they have been bred. The two proven breeders were getting attention from the ram, for the second month ... is that normal? If I get rid of the ram, what is the likelihood the ewes will break the fence or teach the next ram? Any good way to tell if the ewe took? Will he calm down in the next few (weeks)?

Gary