[Jacob-list] "Still waters"

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri May 16 05:42:56 EDT 2003

Our original purchase of sheep included a group of longwool sheep. The ram for this group was an incredibly handsome silver Cotswold/Finn named John Henry. John Henry became a small legend in this area for his ability to sire beautiful lambs when crossbred to most anything else...and for breeding anything and everything. He was borrowed by several people to use on their non-registered stock. (One very nice Christian lady whose strongest language is the word "well", Told me: "Well, Neal, That neighbor had best keep his horses put up when John Henry is out in that pasture.") One of his particularly nice fleeced CorriedaleX ram lambs was sold to a registered Romney breeder who had kept  her sheep separated by a river for years. Yep. Swam a river and bred the registered Romneys before he was caught.

I also know of an old Scottish Blackface ewe who would swim a small river just to graze on the other side.

Neal Grose