[Jacob-list] "Still waters"

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Thu May 15 23:52:18 EDT 2003

I think sheep prefer "still" or at least "slowly moving" water to a rushing splashing stream.  I have an irrigation ditch like a small stream which runs through my pasture all summer, and at various places it has wide, slow moving pools and narrower, fast-moving rushes.  My sheep will drink from the slow or moderately moving areas, but never from the areas where the water is fast enough to splash their faces when they put their muzzles in to drink.  Perhaps this is what they refer to, rather than the literal idea of completely still water.  Makes sense--would you like to drink from water that rushed up your nose everytime you tried to take a sip?
Oh--and they always use the bridges, or jump over at a very narrow spot--they NEVER wade.   They can jump amazingly far, though.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR