[Jacob-list] Re: "court stuff"

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Tue May 13 10:24:33 EDT 2003

Thom,
Nice to know Levi contributed to the fleece!  :-)   The judge granted an
injunction on the 17th of April saying that the Purdy's could not adopt,
sell or otherwise transfer the sheep.  Court-wise, our next step is to go
to mediation, required by the county/state.  However, at the hearing on
the 17th, Linda Purdy went to lengths to let the judge know that she did
not want to go to mediation with anyone with as many psychological
problems as I have, so I don't expect much out of the mediation session.
Also at the hearing, the judge asked the Purdy's how many sheep they had
at their property to which Steve Purdy replied that he had 49.  I told the
judge that couldn't be true as I knew there had been lambs born since
January.  Linda Purdy replied that yes there were 49 sheep as 5 adults
were in adoptive homes and 5 lambs had been born, interesting coincidence.
 However, when interviewed by Donna Moxley, a newspaper reporter, after
the hearing, the Purdy's told her that they had the original 49.  The good
news is that I found an attorney willing to work with me pro bono (I just
pay court fees which I would have had to pay anyway).  He knows their
attorney and is going to ask for a site visit to see how many and in what
condition the sheep are in.  If they refuse, which they most likely will,
my attorney will make a motion to the courts.  Since the hearing the
Purdy's published an amazing article in the Critter Exchange, a free
regional newspaper about animals.  To read the article, you'd either think
it's too good to be true or that they should be recommended for Animal
Rescuers of the Year.  I do plan to call Critter Exchange this week and
talk with them about the article.  It does mention the sheep and that they
were saved from starving, but all are doing well now.  None of it makes
any sense at all.  The state licensing board is investigating my
complaint, but we'll see what they decide to do with it.

The saga continues....
Best,
Kelley