[Jacob-list] Another color question

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue May 6 19:35:37 EDT 2003

It might be useful to see what these sheep produced in previous years.  Is this the
first year that the "different" patterns show up?  I would consider the patterns
that you mention to be indications of crossbreeding.  50 to 60% coloration is not
indicative of cross breeding, but the total lack of a spotting pattern is - in my
very humble opinion.
Do these lambs show other indications of crossbreeding - ear size and carriage,
undersized or lacking horns, wool on the forehead or legs?
I started with a "spinner's flock" of crossbred sheep and bought a Jacob ram for
color.  I fell in love with the breed and went to purebreds.  But, in the
transition, I did get solid color sheep (lilac, actually) with Jacob marked heads.