[Jacob-list] Another color question

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Tue May 6 16:45:42 EDT 2003

Betty--
As far as I can determine, the sheep have not been near any but the jacob rams for 2 years.  They have not been transported nor shown.  These lambs are March lambs, so should be the offspring of the rams and ewes which I now have.  One comment you made--inbreeding--could inbreeding cause this?  My first thought was that somewhere back in the ancestry was a crossbred Jacob, but from what I can find it would have to be several generations back.  It would have to be in the ram's ancestry,  because the lambs came from 3 different ewes.  There is some "line breeding", but haven't asked how much.  Isn't it "line breeding" if it works and "inbreeding" if it doesn't? LOL    Basically there is only one ram and one ewe that are possible "keepers" of the whole bunch.  The rest are not prime specimens, mainly because of severely curling lateral horns that are going to need clipping back to keep them from causing jaw or eye problems.  They are also quite small--not showing any signs of undernourishment, in good condition, but just small bodied.  The rams are about the size of some of my smaller ewes, best I can tell with the rams in full wool and my ewes recently sheared.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR
  WHere were the mothers when they were bred?  Were they transported with another ram?  AT a sheep show with another ram?  I can't imagine they are purebred; the descriptions sound a lot like lambs I have seen from crossbred.  OR, in one case, the one with the jacob head and eyepatches, like inbred jacobs...But, I'm no expert.  See if you get some better responses from people who've done this longer and have more info.