[Jacob-list] Another color question

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Tue May 6 13:33:49 EDT 2003

I was just given some Jacobs by someone who "just didn't want to mess with them" any longer.  There are 5 ewes, 4 of which have lambs, and 3 yearling rams.  I know the person whose flock the the adult sheep came from, and that person does not, as far as I know, crossbreed her Jacobs.  She has said that the adults gotten from her are purebred Jacobs.  So....then we look at the lambs.   The ram lambs are, to all appearances, Jacob--at least in markings and general conformation, when compared to lambs from my flock.  The 4 ewe lambs are....well, different!!!  Three are solid black except for white blazes down their faces, a white strip down their chins and chests (kinda looks like they are wearing a tux), 4 white socks, and about the last half of their tails is white (tails have been banded, but have not yet dropped off).  The 4th is the same, except her face is white and she has the Jacob eye patches and dark nose.  Looks like they are going to a fancy party!  They also seem to be a bit longer legged in proportion to their bodies, but that could be an illusion due to the coloring.  One of the "odd" ewe lambs is twin to a  "normal" ram lamb.
OK, here's the question:  Is there any way these could actually be pure Jacob?  Do pure Jacobs ever throw solid black?   These are obviously not going to be put back into the Jacob gene pool as breeders, but my curiosity is killing me.  I trust the person who originally owned the sheep to be an honest breeder, who has had Jacobs for years.  I also know that the person who gave them to me had no other sheep on his property.  Both the ewes and the rams have a bit more black than "standard"--maybe as much as 50-60% in a couple cases.
Always something interesting with these sheep!!!!!!
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR