[Jacob-list] lilacs

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Tue May 6 12:25:44 EDT 2003

I believe that it is a dangerous generalization to say that a lilac "Jacob" is proof of its purity.  We have various shades of "lilac" in our Jacob x Horned Dorset sheep.  The most common shade that I have seen in our crosses is the beige or taupe shade.  Some of the crosses appear to have black spotting when lambs, and later on fade to lilac.  Anyone purchasing lambs at auction and relying on the lilac shade to denote purity is taking a big risk.
It would be helpful for an "official" distinction to be made among the various recessive colors.  Lilac does not accurately describe the chocolate or beige spotting.  I would like to see our application for registration have chocolate and beige added to the black and lilac categories, then the number of recessive colored sheep recorded, as well as the number of blue eyed sheep.

Mary Spahr

Mary Spahr