[Jacob-list] lilac and my first

B&B bandb at in-tch.com
Tue May 6 10:25:07 EDT 2003

This is my first ever message to this group so I hope it gets through.  I
must say that I have been reading this list for about a year now, and have
learned so much and appreciate all the information about the breed, and the
general discussions very much.

I just recently acquired my first Jacob, and she is a young ewe lamb of the
Lilac coloring; oh she is so cute!  :)  I think she is absolutely a perfect
specimen!!  However, I'm barn blind.  I raise crossbred sheep and not
purebreds, and since I am retired and not planning on depending upon them as
a source of income I can raise what I want and that is sheep who produce
interesting handspinnable fleeces.  I have some reservation about the horns
on the breed, but we will see how it goes with this one little gal.  Anyway,
that is just background information.  I am writing because I think it was
Neal Grouse who wrote that he planned to breed his lilac ewes to a moorit or
brown ram this fall.  He said he expected to see black lambs.  I am planning
on breeding to a moorit ram too (a crossbred ram) and we will see what we
get.  I'm hoping that Neal will post the following spring on what color his
lambs are from this breeding, and I hope to do the same.   Unless I forget,
which I sometimes do!

Finding out just what the genetics of the Lilac are is of interest to me.
Of course, if Dr. Spoonberg is correct there could be more than one kind of
Lilac out there.

Mine has blue/gray/amber color eyes by the way.  Very interesting looking
since I usually see the typical yellow/amber eyes on most sheep.  Her tongue
is spotted white, and chocolate by the way.

That's it so I'm off for now
Barbara Peters