[Jacob-list] Not Gummy Bears Any More!

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Fri May 2 17:12:56 EDT 2003

Heel low:

Since I have received such EXCELLENT help here, I have a rather timely
situation ongoing to ask about...

Noted that one of the triplets had light blood around her mouth and on her face-
-thought maybe she had scraped herself on something.  When I inspected, I could
find no cuts or abrasions...inspected her brother and he too had a little dab
of weak blood on his head...so I then inspected Haley...long story short, the
triplets have cut teeth and are obviously chewing on Haley's teats, so much so
they have really opened up the underside of both her teats and they are causing
her to kick at her lambs when they nurse.  I cannot say for sure that all 3 are
inflicting the damage, but obviously I now understand why Haley has just begun
to be agitated about them nursing.  Will the lambs "learn" that if they "bite"
Mommy, they get tossed outta the way with one of her hind feet?

In a feeble attempt to do something, I have applied bovine bag/udder balm to
Haley's big ol' cow sized udder & teats (if it's good for Shania, it's gotta be
good for the Jacobs!) and put out more alfalfa/whole grains for the lambs to
nibble upon hoping what they miss out in nursing, they can make up for in
eating other foods.  The triplets will be two weeks old this Saturday, and I
figure Haley is going to be pretty hesitant to let them nurse if they are
hurting her in this way.  It is too soon to wean them (earliest I've heard of
in commercial accelerated lambers is three weeks) so I am wondering if I should
start topping them up with milk replacer seeing how their current dispensor
facility is all thrashed up and going "out of order."  I check daily for
bulging bellies and see good weight gains so far...

Is this just a problem with the primitiviness of the Jacob; which is slower to
develop/mature to a larger size, but maybe the cutting of teeth this early
allows them to begin foraging for themselves sooner.

Am I able to do anything else to ease this situation?

Doggone,

Tara
--
     ____(\                Tara Lee Higgins                  /)____