[Jacob-list] bleeding teats

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 2 21:06:22 EDT 2003

Hi Tara
This is not exclusive to Jacobs.  It happened with one of my most experienced Shetland ewes a couple of years back.  What I did was to tip her onto her bum and strip out each quarter - ie milk her, into a jug, using the bag balm to soothe her sore teats, then feed the milk to the lambs, twice a day.  At that age they really do need the milk. After two or three days the lambs began nursing again and never looked back. (I tipped her because otherwise she would have kicked ME !!). If you leave the milk in the udder then you may get mastitis setting in or at the least it will become so swollen that the lambs cannot feed even once the sores are healed.
Juliet in Scotland