[Jacob-list] Polio in sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu May 1 13:29:25 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/29/2003 10:12:44 PM Central Standard Time,
Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu writes:

> Polio in sheep,calves, and especially goats is a vitamin B deficiency, =
> often brought on by dehydration. I don't know how helpful this is. I =
> have never seen it in our sheep, even after doing without water for a =
> week in the winter. The water line runs on top of the ground to the =
> water trough. I have seen sheep walk up to the warm water that I had =
> carried by hand out to them after a week when it did not get above 32, =
> say "hmmm look at that!", turn around and walk off. Neal Grose in the dry
> balmy south
> Neal -- Are you still on the list?  Where did you get this information
> that sheep polio is caused by dehydration?  I'm researching it.  I have
> heard of a book listing a couple of other things causing it as well.  Any
> information would be appreciated.

Fred Horak here.  I think that Neal's response in the original posting was
suggesting the "cure" (vitamin B series) was the cause of polio ( a thiamine
deficiency).  It happens that vitaimin B  (early on) can arrest polio.  The
thimaine deficiency can be exacerbated by dehydration.

A good basic set of books for ewe and lamb management are "Managing your Ewe"
and "Lamb problems: detetcting, dioagnosing and treating" by Laura Lawson.
Each book is about 400 pages long with detailed descriptions of symptoms,
pictures, corrective action, etc.  The neat think about the book is in the
flow charts that allow you to look up the symptoms and by answering "yes" or
"no" to questions, leads to possible causes and corrective action.  They are
available at $30 for the ewe book and $25 for the lamb book ... postage
paid/no tax.

> Another question, does anyone have information on trailering sheep and
> what can happen with that?

Sheep trailer just fine.  some "wind break" will help prevent pink eye, stop
once in a while to provide water.   Just don't let them out on the hiway.  If
they are going to be "on borad" for, say more than 24 hours, consider
something for "shipping fever".

Fred Horak