[Jacob-list] feeding questions

Patty Berke honeybucket at attbi.com
Sat Mar 29 17:57:48 EST 2003

Oh, what stories you hear!!  We definitely have grass out here---not
everything is alfalfa!  At least in the NORTHwest, that is!  I tried orchard
grass a year ago, forking over lots more $$ to see if THAT would create
cleaner fleeces.  No...not a chance--it still has little pieces in it!  We
have been feeding in pans/trays on the ground to minimize waste and trailing
over backs--it DOES seem to improve things.  What I noticed this year was
that the lambs and smaller sheep got more grass in the fleeces.  Otherwise I
have been very happy with this---it's been progress!!  My biggest concern
now is whether we can cut way back on baled items of any kind because of the
waste.  Thanks for all the feedback and ideas and info---very helpful!
Patty