[Jacob-list] feeding questions

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 30 10:19:09 EST 2003

Forage choices in my area are: local hay (cheap, but they waste alot of
it and I find seed heads and sometimes blackberry briars in the hay and
in their wool), alfalfa (very expensive and they start wasting the
stems after awhile), and orchard grass (mid-range price, they love it,
and even if they get it allover their backs, it brushes right off). And
while the sheep won't eat what they stepped on, the guard llama will.
I supplement the orchard grass with Nutrena Allbreed pellets (14%
protein, oats, corn, minerals, etc.) no more than 1/3 of their diet for
rumen health (what I was taught).
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon