[Jacob-list] feeding questions

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Mar 29 08:26:41 EST 2003

I think part of the key is to get those idiots to eat with their heads down
instead of pulling stuff off from over head. 'Course, it would also help to
feed them such that they did not stand on top of one another when they eat
at the feeder. I don't know of any reason why hay cubes wouldn't work. They
have to bite the stuff off in pieces that fit into their mouths anyway. In
cattle rations, 3" is adequate as "long forage" to stimulate cud chewing,
rumen scratch factor, etc. Their alfalfa out west [if "dairy quality"] is
equivalent to 2 parts mature orchard grass + 1 part corn + 1 part protein
supplement. I suppose I should add that old crappy alfalfa is no where near
as good as orchard grass that is cut when it should be.
Neal