[Jacob-list] shearing small flock

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 14:43:29 EST 2003

Getting the expensive hoof trimmers is good advice.
Also, be sure to store them in a dry environment. My
first set was left in my barn's tack room. I thought
they would be fine. When I went to trim hoofs the next
time, my trimmers had rusted shut.

I shear my own small flock (about 20 sheep). We bought
a metal grooming stand. I shear using fiskars
scissors. A small pair for head, neck and private
areas; dressmaker size for rest of body. I put a sheep
next to the stand for good fleece, other box for
"scraps" to be used for felting.

After shearing, they get their hooves done, vaccine
(if needed) and are wormed.

First year was tricky - now they are "trained" to
stand on the stand and know the routine.
Joy

=====
Joy Thomas, Shepherd & Fiber Artist
Son-Rise Farm, Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fleece Flock
Border Leicester, Jacob & Shetland Sheep
French Angora Rabbits
Website:   www.shepherdofspots.com
E-Mail:    joy at shepherdofspots.com