[Jacob-list] shearing small flock

Gillian Fuqua gillian_fuqua at pobox.com
Sat Mar 15 09:11:02 EST 2003

    I too am new to sheparding and have my two girls getting shorn this
week.  Here is what I have learned.  Try to find out who else has sheep in
your area and get the shearer on the same day.  This cuts your farm call
costs somewhat.  the other thing you may have to endure is your shearer
explaining to you that with a small flock you can't be choosy.  While on
some level this is true, being insistent about wanting to get my girls done
before lambing led to an appointment.
    Also, trimming feet is no big deal I found.   Be prepared for some inner
thigh (yours) bruising from the horns the first time.  Also buy the
expensive trimmers.  Life is too short for cheap and dull trimmers, or
kitchen knives for that matter.
Best,
Gillian