[Jacob-list] Re: Stillbirth

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Mar 14 20:43:39 EST 2003

Mary Ellen commented: ".  A detached placenta before the animal is born
(be it human or critter) will result in loss of oxygen to the animal and
death if not corrected immediately---  Sounds like the little ewe lamb
might have been dead before delivery or that something went awry during
labor/delivery. "

The placenta normally detaches due to loss of blood pressure in the placenta. My guess here is that the lamb died a few hours before delivery. We have one or two cases of that here out of about one hundred births.

Neal Grose
Harmony, NC