[Jacob-list] Genetic testing =Scrapie ?

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Mar 13 02:52:19 EST 2003

    <Has any one ever done
    <genetic testing on their ewes to see if they are predisposed to Scrapie? >

    I was at a sheep class tonight and listened to a well-known, but retired UCD vet. She made the comment that she was concerned about what we'll see in 10 years in Suffolks with culling/selecting based on the one trait. She is not advocating ignoring the connection to scrapie, but is only raising the awareness that in selecting for one thing, you may be inadvertently selecting or "deselecting" for other traits as well.

    Robin Lynde
    Meridian Jacobs
    Vacaville, CA
    www.meridianjacobs.com