[Jacob-list] US Jacobs Flying to Canada

Cathie and Mark Williams williams at jacobsheep.com
Wed Mar 5 11:40:06 EST 2003

Couple of additional points...

This will only work with lambs, unless you've got miniature Jacobs.  We have
shipped lambs 6 to 7 months old, but none older. At 7 months, they are
starting to approach the size that the airlines won't take them in the 700
kennels. If they are too big for the kennels, you have to have a custom
crate built to airline specifications.

Don't bother calling the regular airline reservation number - those that
handle human tickets won't have a clue if they can even ship livestock. Find
the direct line for air cargo (most airlines have their own air cargo
division) - they'll give you the correct information.  Plan for some extra
time when making arrangement and dropping off animals at the airport. This
will likely be the first time your air cargo gate agent has ever shipped
sheep, so he/she will probably have to look up information or call a
supervisor. Cargo handlers will be very interested in what's making all that
noise on the dock.  They do seem to take really good care of the animals.

It will be expensive. Last we checked, we could ship from Seattle to the US
midwest for between U.S. $200 and $300 per crate.  That was several years
back - before the airlines were suffering post 9/11. US airlines have also
cut a lot of routes and are flying the smallest possible planes, which
further limits the number of possible flights.

I have read that legislation is currently being considered which would
effectively eliminate the air transportation of animals. Several animal
rights groups have pressured for thorough documentation and examination of
every animal before and after every flight.  This will add a significant
extra burdon for airlines that are already on the verge of bankruptcy, so
many will likely stop shipping animals if it takes effect.

On the positive side, animals that we have received via air shipments have
seemed less stressed than those that drive long distances.

- Mark Williams
  Swallow Lane Farm & Fiberworks