[Jacob-list] US Jacobs Flying to Canada

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Mar 4 23:44:23 EST 2003

I have been asked to do up an article about importing Jacobs to Canada in
regards to what I have learned thus far.  I would HIGHLY appreciate some
assistance in getting all this straight and if anyone has pointers regarding
airline shipping Jacobs from the States to Canada
I would adore some help
here!  Jacob specific pointers are most appreciated like does anyone wrap horns
to protect them, etc.??

SO YOU WANT TO FLY A USA JACOB TO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH-CANADA

I am sure that I will learn more and become better educated about all this
process once I have gone through this.  I have imported two purebred registered
dogs from the States (1996 & 2001), but have never imported a live sheep
so
here goes what I *think* I understand about the process thus far. I would
certainly appreciate corrections and additional information from those who have
survived this nerve wracking ordeal!  I would not care so much if there was not
a live animal counting on me to have all my “I’s” dotted and “T’s” crossed!  So
here goes

AIRLINES:
RELEASE-Your shipper will have to sign a “no fault” release waiver in case the
animal dies or is injured during transport.
- Veterinary Documentation:
ACCLAMATION-Document signed by a vet stating the animal may withstand 45
minutes of 45 degree Fahrenheit temperature. Get this done when you have your
health certificate completed.
HEAT EMBARGOS-Watch when you are going to air ship your Jacob
if the
temperature reaches that critical 80 to 85+ degree Fahrenheit level, transport
of live animals may be postponed until the temperature declines.  Watch your
weather forecasts and try to avoid shipping during June to August if possible.
HEALTH CERTIFICATE- Some airlines require that a live animal has been inspected
by a vet within a 10 day period.  Validate with the carrier.
- Transport container:  Airline approved dog crates work well. Strong, light
but beware, if you are using a 700 size (Giant is 44 pounds, accommodates a 100
pound adult Jacob well & is 48”longx35”highx32”wide) the airplane will have to
be larger than a 737 (wide bodied) plane.  Validate with Airline Cargo this is
what they are using since the height of 35” is exactly the height of the
aircraft’s loading door and will not be accepted.  Importing lambs is less
costly regarding the size of the containers, but with immature animals, you may
not like how they mature into adults if you are importing them for breeding
purposes.  Remember to include the container’s weight along with your animal,
bedding, food, source of moisture, etc. for an overall total of your shipment.
You will be paying for the outward dimensions of what the container would be
capable of holding weight wise.  If using a 700 crate, you will be allowed a
maximum of 91 kilos or 200 pounds, whether you use this amount or not.  An
absorbent bedding material like “stall dry” (nfi) would be a nice feature to
keep your Jacob more comfortable or if weight is a consideration, use pet potty
training pads (taped together with RedGreen’s secret weapon, duct tape) under
your bedding.  Animals are more in tune with scents and find comfort in being
surrounded by familiar smells.  I know this with canines (I forward shipped a
blanket for scenting to have it transported back along with my new dog) and
having watched my Jacobs sniff the air when I have arrived wearing a strange
hat (“What’s that in the sombrero?”), so if you use a little clean but laid
upon straw, your sheep might feel a tad more relaxed inside their new crate if
it smells like home.

FLIGHT SCHEDULE- One would be best advised to try to get a straight fly right
on through from international airport to international airport.  It is
certainly easier on your animal not to have to endure long delays while in
transport confinement.  Realize that your live animal is considered “cargo” and
must arrive at the airport from 2 to 3 hours in advance of the flight time so
you need a competent party who is willing to make sure your Jacob arrives well
in advance of the departure schedule.  With each connecting flight, airlines
will require this much time again to ensure loading and off loading of your
precious cargo to make the connection.  If your Jacob has the misfortune of not
linking up with the timing of making a connecting flight along the way, you
will be expected to accept that your animal will be kenneled overnight for the
next available flight in the morning.  This may well cost you an additional
kenneling fee of around $100 to $150+.  Call the airlines, shop around and when
you decide on a carrier, get the flight numbers of all the hops, skips & jumps
along the way.  This will assist you in tracing your precious Jacob if they got
on the wrong plane and ended up in Tahiti.

TREATMENT OF YOUR SHEEP-Animals may be terribly stressed through their ordeal
of transport.  Provide them with a large enough to stand up, turn around sized
airline approved container, but not so much room they may injure themselves
thrashing around should they get spooked.  I would advise against having any
restraining devices on them during transport, no halters, etc.  Naked as a jay
bird is safest!  I would also suggest leaving a bit more wool on a Jacob bound
for transport unless of course you are concerned about heat exhaustion.  I
figure the added “padding” will assist the animal in not getting as banged up
as they would without their natural insulation.  Put sliced apples for moisture
and a tempting treat (get the seller to accustom your sheep to this food prior
to exporting, so the Jacob knows what it is and does not ignore the new item)
in the crate along with some regular rations.  Whether the water you put in the
crate ever ends up actually “inside” the sheep, more often than not the poor
critter dumps it and then thoroughly gets miserable mucking around in it.  I do
believe you are obligated to provide water when transporting animals, so try
for a unspillable collision proof safe container if such a puppy exists.  If
your seller is a caring soul, they will mail you some of the Jacob’s normal
ration so you may have this on hand when your long traveling cargo arrives and
tries to settle in.  In an ideal situation, you would even want some water from
their area as well.  I send my puppies home with a month’s supply of both food
and clean jugs of water.  Post a “corny” note protected by a plastic sheet
protector taped securely to the outside of the crate
state what kind of animal,
the sheep’s name (hopefully it is not registered as “Demon from Hellspawn”),
where the Jacob came from and where it’s going to with immediate contact
telephone numbers, etc.  I have seen some crate setups where water may be added
completely from outside the crate and if you are able to rig this up, by all
means do it and state that water may be given to the occupant in your note
too!  Airline crews treat animals very well and a note that introduces your
Jacob to its handlers may ensure that extra special attention is bestowed upon
them.

BROKERAGE FEES:  If you are purchasing your Jacob personally and not as a
business and Canada Customs is not too busy, they will often assist you to fill
out the appropriate forms though they are under no obligation to represent both
the Federal Government and you.  If you have to call in a broker after hours to
assist you, expect a fee of about $150 for their services to get you through
the border.  I am told that sheep are not 7 percent GSTaxable and there is no
duty on their importation to Canada.  We shall see once I go through Customs in
Calgary whether this all pans out.  I spoke to a very nice broker in Calgary
who told me to ask Customs for the Harmonize System form number for sheep or
goats is 0104.10.00.10 (the last two digits of .10 is for purebred/.90 is for
not purebred).

IMPORTATION INSPECTIONS, REQUIREMENTS & DOCUMENTATION:
USDA Official Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Sheep (form VS 17-140):
HEALTH CERTIFICATE-Both the individual animal and the flock require veterinary
inspection within 30 days preceding exportation to Canada.
DISEASES-Free from any communicable disease including:
-Scrapie; no case of scrapie during 3 years in the flock of origin & sheep is
not the offspring of a sheep diagnosed with scrapie.
-Scabies; no case of scabies with 12 months and no scabies during past 6 months
within 80 kilometers of where the flock of origin has been located.
-Bluetongue; In high risk zones (most Southern States) Blue tongue free
certification requires two tests during January 16 to October 15 with 30-90
days between the first and second test, otherwise one AGID or C-ELISA test is
required.  Anyone on a health flock program is leaps ahead of a farm that is
going to be exporting Jacobs to Canada in regards to health requirements.
IDENTIFICATION-1) Legible permanent tattoo; letters “USA” or a tattoo described
under the definition of official calfhood vaccinate.  2) Official ear tag of US
Dep’t of Agriculture.

FEDERAL VETERINARY INSPECTION:
- When your Jacob arrives at the destination airport in Canada, you will have
to have a Federal Veterinary inspect your animal prior to its release to
Customs.  When I spoke to the Federal Vet serving the Calgary airport area, he
quoted me a call out fee of $35 for the first animal and $2 for each additional
one.  The Federal Vet would appreciate some notification of the importation of
your sheep, so contact one and book ahead with the flight number and details.

Well that concludes where I am at now
have I missed anything?  By all means
please advise me.  I am trying my best to get a handle on all of this and if
anyone has contrary suggestions or knows of a procedure I do not, please,
please tell me
I am sure that in two year’s time, there will be a whole host of
new criteria, but for now, I think I have a bit of it understood.

Doggone,

Tara
--
   ____(\                Tara Lee Higgins                  /)____