[Jacob-list] sheep and chicken food

CATE De SHAZER windsox at centurytel.net
Mon Jun 23 11:19:14 EDT 2003

I spent all night watching them and they are all eating and moving away from
me because I don't have my koolaid jug or raspberry treats.   I just woke up
and they acted like - here she is again - doesn't she ever sleep.  I think I
alarmed for nothing.

I have only had them since Memorial Day this year. - Fed them alfalfa when
they got home but here we get 167 " of rain a year and they only nibbled at
it.   Last month we had record high (94) first time since 1948.   Right now
it is in mid 50's  and may return to 80+ later in summer but not often or
for long.   We therefore don't get brown grass - but when rainy season comes
they won't be able to see the grass because of the rain (haha).

I don't know the difference between wet and dry cob.  This is dry to touch
but clings together and is oats of some sort with molasses.  I made sure no
copper but if I give them less than the pitcher full they follow me into my
house - scaring my poor dogs to death.  If I split it up they usually pick a
dish and devour and then push neighbor over.  So, they have learned to
inhale it.  It is teaching the young ones how valuable horns are.

They have also eaten my grape vine and berry bushes and my raspberry garden
is gone -  and the way they pig out on the oats  - is that an  indication my
grass isn't great because it is so tall.   It got really tall and in seed
before I got them and has been too wet to mow.   There is area of ordinary
grass height but they select to go out in the tall grass and eat there all
day.

Thank you for all the emails of advice and support.  I will do as you
suggested - it is a 2 hour drive to Costco but will go today and stock up.

Cate