[Jacob-list] Starting out

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Wed Feb 19 14:10:27 EST 2003

I really have to chuckle about the Eva Gabor role...I think you will love your jacob sheep. So self sufficient and easy.  Ours run with Llamas, horses, other sheep and cows with not many problems. When they are lambing we keep them separate until the lambs are about 3 weeks old and moving about pretty good. The rams have occasionally been a problem.  One ram insisted on chasing the horses, until he got kicked in the jaw. He then took to chasing calves, until all the mothers finally ganged up on him. It was pretty funny watching him being chased by 12 or so angry mama cows.  Eventually though that ram went to the big pasture in the sky as he took to chasing us!  Most of the others have done well, we keep the rams with the cows and horses until breeding season.  I have a pony who loves to herd the sheep, gets them all gathered in one spot, then he goes off and grazes and if one strays from the herd, he runs to put them back in their group. Fun for the pony, and the sheep don't!
 seem to mind too much. The best part of the year is NOW, we have 7 newborn Jacob lambs in the barn so tiny and smart.  A few more on the way. They are 100 times cuter than the market lambs, and those are pretty darn cute too. Have fun, Green Acres is the place to be!
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs
Lostine,OR