[Jacob-list] NEWBORN LAMBS WRONG MOM

marguerite e vanbeek pegaleg2 at juno.com
Wed Feb 5 09:59:23 EST 2003

On January 30th during the day when I was at work there were two lambs
born.  I assumed because of there attachment that one
went  to an older ewe Anne and the other to the new mom, Mullen.  Both
were ram lambs.  At first I thought it was odd that they were born on the
same day but I figured it has happened with my horses why not sheep.  The
other odd thing was Mullen kept trying to lick the other lamb but Anne
would circle and move it on away from Mullen.  Both were nursing and
healthy.  Well.........yesterday the 4th when I went to feed at night
there was a newborn ewe lamb and it was obvious that is was Anne's due to
the placenta was still waiting to be expelled.  It seems that Anne the
older ewe stole the ram lamb which was a twin from Mulllen.  I guess she
couldn't wait for her's to be born.  The only problem I have is that the
colostrum was evidently nurse out days ago and know the newborn has none
for herself.  Any suggestions???  Should I give her shots or just let it
be.   I have no other ewes ready to lamb at this moment they are apporx.
a month away.

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Peggy