[Jacob-list] Fickle Sheep

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 09:51:30 EST 2003

Hello to all~ I don't post too often, though I read everyone's comments with eagerness, I could not pass up this observation that I made this morning w/ the girls. In the past we have bought baled hay to feed, and stored it in the car-port, taking it to the sheep in a wheel barrel. This year because of drought in our area, we aquired round bales to feed this winter.  The round bales are next to the paddock that the girls are in (7 ewes), I peel off the hay off the round bale, put it in the wheel barrel so that in the dark mornings all I have to do is pick up some hay and throw it over the fence. Since I don't have to go to work until 1:00pm today, instead of the usual 7:00am, I didn't have to feed in the dark. Well today there was a lot of small pieces in the bottom of the wheel barrel (being alfalfa), so I decided to take their portion in the wheel barrel, go into their pen and dump the hay. They wouldn't touch it!!! It is now 2 hours after putting that hay in their pen and they still haven't touched the hay!  Abigail Brown Shiloh FarmsPetersburg, IN