[Jacob-list] 'natural way of shepherding'

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 20:15:26 EDT 2003

Hello All,We don't necessarily consider being 'natural'; however, since we have had our Jacobs (1996) we have not given any shots or inoccualations. We started out worming w/ a powder we would get from our vet. Then last year we used a topical, cydectin, because it was too difficult to make sure each received their correct ration. We are intrigued by the use of diametrius earth as a wormer.  I have used a diametrius earth in a filter to clean aquariums.  I have wondered if this would be the same stuff and what kind of ration would be given to the sheep and in what kind of food would it be given. Would it be feed all the time or just once in a while. Abigail BrownShiloh FarmPetersburg, IN~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dave & Katrina <oberlef at supernet.com> wrote:
I'd love to hear from any shepherds out there who are moving toward a more 'natural' way of shepherding.  Our goal in the back of our minds in to raise our animals closer to organic standards in PA and it seems of all sheep breeds, Jacobs would be the one that would be successful.   When I look at old documentation it looks like some of the old flocks, at least the Fieldwood flock, one I admire, and probably the English flocks, did not dock and did not vaccinate except for tetanus, so it should be a responsible way to raise the breed.    I have to admit to starting making some of those changes this year, but am wavering... would like to hear more from anyone who is going that direction.  As far as MEH's comment about shepherds having sheep die and wondering if lack of Vaccinations was the cause...it seems the at least for the CD&T shots, it should be obvious...both Tetanus & bloat have very distinct symptoms.  Correct me if i am wrong.  Katrina Lefever