[Jacob-list] 'natural way of shepherding'

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 06:04:22 EDT 2003

Abigail,

I have seen some of the literature given out by the people loving DE.
My vet considers it in the same realm as "quack medicine" and stated
flat out that it did not decrease parasite load and caused a false sense
of security in shepherds.  I can tell you from using it a couple years
back that every time I gave it to the sheep, they were attracted to it
like they are to kelp.  I was concerned because it is as powdery as
cornstarch and they breathed it in while eating.  Their noses were
runny, and they all developed cases of diarrhea every single time I gave
it to them.  I personally felt these were contraindications to it's use
at my farm, and then when my vet made his assessment it just further
added weight to what he said.

My comment about the lack of vaccinations such as CD&T was related
directly to the clostridial bacteria that Neal also mentioned in his
post.

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting