[Jacob-list] Anaphylaxis after Tetanus innoculation

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Sun Apr 27 19:48:25 EDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, gordon johnston wrote:

> What good fortune that you keep epinephrine (which we call adrenaline) - I
> would not have had that.

Juliet --

We call it adrenaline, too. Somehow, the term "adrenaline" seems to
refer to the hormone, while "epinephrine" suggests the injectable
form. Does anyone know, is epi a synthetic adrenaline?

I can tell you it's a dramatic drug. I sure wouldn't use it casually.
It has a half-life in the body of about 2 minutes, and it affects
the heart, respiration, and circulation in jig time. If I were to
use it on a human (myself, for instance), I'd be right on my way to
the hospital afterward. It's a life-saver if it's what you need, but
it's not a light duty treatment.

Of course, we were looking at a dying lamb, so there didn't seem to be
a lot to lose. It was interesting to watch his reaction to the treatment.
We were about counting seconds then. At 9 seconds, he shuddered,
raised his head, and inhaled. Pretty profound.

Naturally, during today's round-up of lambs, he was the only one that
wanted to be caught, and wanted to have his nose in the works, to
see what was going on. Bless my soul, there must be a rule about that.

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.