[Jacob-list] Anaphylaxis after Tetanus innoculation

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Sun Apr 27 19:31:07 EDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Neal and Louise Grose wrote:

> If you expect loses of 1% from clostridia,
> then you are more likely to lose this guy from shock than from the disease.
> (Heck, if you only have ten sheep, you could skip vaccinating altogether an
> only lose one every ten years. Hence the success of organic farming.)

That seems to me a very well-reasoned response.

Even as I point out that Tetanus anti-toxin, which is what you get
when you step on a nail (you get/give a big dose of this, around 1500
IU, and it provides immediate protection against acute infection),
and the Tetanus toxoid in the CD&T innoculation (this does not protect
until about 4 days after innoculation, and is what you get when you
get/give a routine booster shot) are different things, I can't see
how it's worth the risk to expose this guy again. It was the anti-toxin
he reacted to, but I think we will not even bother giving him CD&T.
He'll have to get by on blind luck. (Now I just have to remember which
one he is, come next time...)

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.