[Jacob-list] Reply to multiples re: butcher lamb

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Tue Apr 8 02:15:44 EDT 2003

> You can also sell the meat on the hoof anbd let the buyer take the animal
to butcher, or if you re
> on a farm and haev facilities you can allow the buyer to butcher at your
location.

I'd like to know how people handle this issue. I've found out recently that
it's illegal to let someone butcher on my property. Do other states have the
same rules that CA does?  I thought that you could sell a lamb to someone,
and then it was up to them what they did with it, butcher it on my property,
etc. But not in CA. I've found out that the only animals that can be
butchered on my property (legally...and that means to avoid liability
issues) are those that are for my consumption or for my employees (if I had
any). Any time I'm selling/giving the animal/meat to anyone else needs to be
killed at a USDA inspected facility. Fines can be up to $10,000. Even if I
sell the meat to a trusted friend, what happens if they have guests for
dinner and someone gets sick--and decides it was from dinner?

I'm not happy about this. I thought I was finally developing a market for
these lambs. I'm selling some to people who like the "stress-free"
idea--that the animals are eating one minute, dead the next--never knew what
hit them. And that way I could also use the pelts, horns, etc. I also have a
customer who butchered his own lambs here.

Speaking of selling lambs, I have almost 50 this year. They're for sale. I
hope to get some photos on my webpage in the next few days. If any of you
travel to CA, I'd be glad to have you visit.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com