[Jacob-list] Pregnant Ewe?

Bondurant Michelle mbondurant at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 15 11:43:51 EDT 2002

Went out yesterday and noticed that one of the ewes seemed to have a bit of
a bag on her.  This morning the bag has about doubled!  We bought three ewes
and the ram in April and all three of them had already lambed (in January, I
think), so we didn't worry about leaving them together.  Oops.

Assuming that this is, indeed, the real thing, this will be our first Jacob
birthing and hopefully will be easier than the 'mixed-breed' (mutt) sheep
we're used to, even moreso because Faith, the ewe in question, is not the
least bit shy and LOVES to be petted, have her ears rubbed, and will come
when called almost like a dog.

I've been finding all the lambing/docking discussions in the group quite
informative, even though I didn't know I'd be using the info quite this
soon!  A couple of  questions - from the time the bagging begins, about how
long until delivery?    I've seen some discussion of molasses drinks for
ewes, does anyone give oatmeal/molasses?

Surprised in Vermont!
Michelle Bondurant
OverTheHill Organic Farm