[Jacob-list] Pregnant Ewe?

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 15 14:25:05 EDT 2002

Michelle,

Congratulations!  There aren't too many Jacobs that lamb in the fall,
but there are a few.  There aren't too many shepherds that leave their
rams in year round---which may account for a good deal of the
seasonality as well.  :o).

Ewes can begin bagging up after they lamb and I have seen them start
bagging up 6 weeks in advance.  Anywhere between these two time periods
would be a good bet.  Now I know that told you absolutely nothing---but
that is the way these sheep seem to operate.  For such a marked change
in bag size, I would guess something is imminent.

I have also seen bags enlarge, deflate, and then re-enlarge during
pregnancy.

Another possibility would be that there is something hormonal other than
true pregnancy going on.  Someboyd on the list had a false pregnancy if
memory serves me correctly.

I have a ewe that looks like she is a serious case of bloat walking
around (both sides).  I can't catch her yet to check if her udder has
changed in the past 2 weeks, but I would be betting she is awaiting
twins.  She has been exposed to rams throughout the year so could be
pregnant.

Of course, I also diagnosed a stray wild cat as heavily pregnant....then
couple months later she was thin and looked like she must have milked
down.  Never saw kittens.  Finally caught the stray cat---didn't check
body parts on the very angry kitty.  Took said kitty to vet to be
spayed......was informed that kitty needed to be NEUTERED rather than
spayed (oops).  Still trying to figure out the "pregnant" status on said
kitty.  Kitty is estimated to be 6 years old and we call HIM Smokey.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209