[Jacob-list] Rabies?

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 09:55:45 EDT 2002

Good Morning:

We're still new to the list, but sure are enjoying it.

Last summer a "friend" brought me a "tame" cat that had been in her barn.
Cat didn't appreciate being in my house, and bit me on the hand.  Then
knocked out a screen and escaped into the woods.  Since we couldn't find the
cat, I had to undergo rabies shots.  On day 1, you get two shots at once,
then return for single shots on day 3, day 5, day 7, and day 14.  I think
annual shots after that are available if you're interested.

As for all the wild critters, rabies vaccinations are available in "bait"
form for areas that have a high incidence of rabies.  You drop it in rural
areas and the animals eat it and take in the vaccine.  If you're concerned
about it, talk to your county commissioners and see what your tax dollars can
do!

In my area I'm more concerned about parasites than rabies.  (except for the
wild cats, or course).  Are there signs to watch for that indicate a parasite
problem?

Kathey W.